Sunday, February 8, 2009

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?


We all know that computers are needed everyday. They are an important asset to everyone in the workplace and in the classroom. In the Fischbowl blog,"Is It Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?" it talks about the importance of being technologically savvy. The author talks about how we live in a technically advanced world and how computers are needed in every day life. He also finds it interesting that many teachers just blow it off like it's no big deal to not know how to do things on the computer. I know that people get comfortable and do not want to step up, but if teachers don't then the students will struggle. It will then become a cycle and students will not grow up strong in technology.

A quote from the blog I found interesting was, "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." This is so true. Computers are becoming more involved in school work. The learning has to start somewhere.

I know before this class I only used a blog once for a school project, never listened to a podcast, never heard of Google Docs, and few other things. And I thought I was literate in computers. There will always be something new to learn. There will always be an updated version. So it is important to know the basics and build on it.

I don't know if there is something set up like this already, but it may be a good idea to have certain standards that must be reached at each grade level. I know when I was in elementary school all we did was play games in computer class. I'm sure now things have changed, but maybe they could be a little bit more orderly so students can be taught a wide range things.

No comments:

Post a Comment